Sunday 29 November 2020

Its Been A While

Its been some time since I have posted, possibly two years, so I may be talking to myself. My photography has been in fits and starts, however today on our local moorland I managed to nail a species that has evaded me for years.The first and third shot of the much persecuted Hen Harrier, even though a protected schedule 1 bird, it is shot at regularly on the big shoots such as Grouse shooting.
I was out photographing Short Eared Owls, when from behind a Snipe alarm called, so a quick glance over my shoulder and I spotted this Hen Harrier coming straight for me, so with a creaking back and worn out knees I swivelled like Ann Widecombe on strictly come dancing, not that I watch that crap (honestly) .  I guess you could call this Harrier, a sociable Hen Harrier, like the Sociable Plover in the area  I keep dipping on.
I love Short Eared Owls, although they are a challenge, they can see you a mile off and if they can't see you they will hear you, so farting was out of the question, (Lisa was thankful for that)
Number three image is of a Red Kite I took early in the year, I got some amazing shots of this fantastic raptor, they got caught up in a forty mile per hour easterly wind and was dumped on Sennen beach. My son who lives in Sennen tipped me off, so I positioned myself at the top of the hill and photographed the Red Kite as they struggled up from the beach, with some only 2 metres from the ground.
 Last but not least a common Buzzard taken from my bedroom window.






 

2 comments:

  1. I did notice your blog was missing but people come and go But I am a patient person and you came back, and with some of my favourite birds. The hen harrier I havn't seen since 2013, but the rest can be seen locally if you have a decent pair of legs (mine are worn out). Welcome back the pair of you. Mike.

    ReplyDelete