Monday 21 February 2011

Automobilia

We seem to wreak havoc with wildlife on our roads, I came across the Otter when I was on the way to work, and photographed it with my compact camera. The location , on the A30 bypassing Treneere Estate, in Penzance was unusual, and some way from water. European Otters are experiencing a successful recovery after the devastation of the pesticide DDT and over hunting, but rarely seen. I have seen very few Otters in my life time, some say that when they are seen in this way, it may indicate that they are doing well . As for me, I think it is another sad indictment of modernity.
Early morning light made photography difficult.




5 comments:

  1. Thats a very sad picture. They are in Sussex but I am yet to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always sad when this happens Sam, you can report your findings here http://www.otter.org/otterWatch.aspx

    if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam
    I've photographed Otter for some years in Dorset & have studied them & worked in Otter conservation across UK for 25 years.
    This one looks like a year old cub, though difficult to be sure.
    They often disperse at 1 year + & may try to follow small streams to new territories.
    Unfortunately if there's no adequate culvert they end up on the road.
    I've noted signs of Otter around West Penwith over the last few years so they look like they're getting established again.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all,

    The Otters are twelve species of semi-aquatic mammals which feed on fish and shellfish. They have long, slim bodies and relatively short limbs, with webbed paws. Most have sharp claws on their feet and all except the sea otter have long muscular tails. Thanks a lot.....

    ReplyDelete